We have been very busy over these last two weeks! Most notably, we have been privileged to be able to visit the Institute of Astronomy.
Our hosts, Matt and Mark, did a fantastic job opening up our minds and imaginations, sharing their extensive knowledge to help embed and extend our learning about space this year.
We got to see the Northumberland Telescope up close….
…and we were treated to a sneaky peak at ‘Uranographia’ – an amazing collection of maps of the stars. What a treat!
Another treat has been our new Computing project, where we have been introduced to ‘Spike Lego’. We have been learning how to build and programme robots through coding. More to come this half term…watch this space!
In Maths, we have been in revision mode, focusing on key skills in preparation for the upcoming SATs.
In English, we have started the fantastic book, ‘Mortal Engines’ by Philip Reeves. We have been considering the features of dystopian writing and have begun to consider settings and characters for our own dystopian story.
Spellings over last 2 weeks…
Coming up next week
- All Year 6 children in school during Strike Day on Tuesday 2nd May
- Learning Conversations for Antares – Tuesday 2nd and Wednesday 3rd May
- Learning Conversations for Sirius and Polaris – Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th May
- Maths – continue revising key skills
- English – focus on describing setting and characters in dystopian story
Enjoy your extra-long weekend!
Year 6 Team